Friday, January 25, 2008

San Jose, CA: Houston-Intercontinental. Houston TX (IAH)

Houston-Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH)

As fate would have it, she went to Terminal C first since there were three passengers going there and only me to Terminal E. We verified our gates, entered the ever so slow security lines and cleared security eventually. They had just one x-ray machine open so it was really slow going. Not sure why that was the case at 6:00p on a Friday.

My colleague wanted to go check out the new Boeing 737-900ER that was making the Las Vegas NV (LAS) flight at about 9:00p that night. He thinks it was at gate 40 something. First we made a stop in the Presidents Club for some eats; not time for any drinks as I had to jet. He had some time, but he was focused on seeing the plane, so he left the Club when I did. He had verified that the flight would leave from gate 39. We had discussed earlier that we should have taken it to Las Vegas and then taken a flight to our final destination from there. We could have easily taken Southwest Airlines (WN) to Los Angeles, CA (LAX) and to San Jose, CA (SJC) respectively, it was very tempting. I mean, this was the inaugural flight of the -900ER for Continental. We are such geeks I thought.

We parted ways at the intersection; my voice echoing as I stood under the center and said “see you later.” That is always a fun thing to do.

During the time in the airport and on my way to the airport terminal, I got multiple texts from other friends who were going to Chicago-O’Hare, IL (ORD) and New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA). The one to Chicago had some trouble getting on his flight, but the one to New York, was seated on his flight and was leaving ontime at 5:50p.

I rushed to my gate which was at E14, quite a walk from gate C43 where I was. When I got there at 6:13p, it was empty; wow, I thought that was efficient. I got my middle seat boarding pass from the agent and made my way down the jetway. Alas, I stopped shortly, the jetway was backed up without explanation. This lasted for about 6 minutes and then it started moving, inching forward.

No comments: