Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas 2007 Trip: Cairns International Airport

Cairns International Airport, Cairns Australia (CNS)

I cleared Immigration again (it is confusing) and then Customs and had to hand over my boarding pass. I had notes on it since the computer had failed, so I had to write them off on another piece of paper.

I walked over to the shuttle bus counter and the lady said it was 7.50 AUD each way to get into Cairns. I could arrange for them to take me back when I was ready.

I then walked over to the Avis counter and checked the price of a car for the day; the guy initially said he had nothing, but then that he had a Hyundai Getz for 55.65 AUD plus a boat load of taxes per day. I told him I'll take it as I checked online to see if I could get the same rate. I had found WiFi from an airport Lounge as the computer was working again.

I did not take the insurance as I thought that American Express would cover it. I later called them using the direct line and they do not cover Australia and five other countries (Jamaica, Ireland, Japan, Italy and New Zealand). So I headed back to the guy and signed up for the insurance. In a foreign country where they drive on the other side of the road, one cannot be too cautious at all.

I did notice that there were three showers at the airport, but you have to bring your own towel and soap although someone had left soap in one of them. They were free of charge and located in the International terminal.

I finally left the airport and headed for the SkyRail that would take me through the rainforest. I also needed to get an adapter so I could charge the computer that had now died. I tried using the plug for the razor in the toilet, but that did not work well at all, so I gave up.

Cairns, Australia

I arrive there in no time as I got good directions from the Avis guy. I was in luck they had space (apparently you have to book 24 hours in advance). I would go up with the SkyRail and come back down with the train, then be shuttled back to my car; what fun!

I bought the tickets and headed up the mountain. It was fantastic, you could see almost all of Cairns below including a spectacular view of the airport in teh distance. At one point, as far as you can see was rainforest.

The stop also included a look at Baron Falls which provides hydro-electric power for the area.

Note: I'm a bit tired now and have to get going so I can get to the airport and get checked in, etc. it is now 9:47p local time on 27 Dec. I will continue this in a bit...

No comments: