Sunday, June 01, 2008

Port of Spain May 2008: Arriving in Houston Intercontinental (IAH)

Houston Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH)

We touched down to an almost non-bounce landing at 12:44p on the Lee Road runway. We taxied in to the nearby E2 by 12:48p, then after a few minutes of waiting, I disembarked and headed for Immigration. The agent who met the flight announced the baggage claim belt as well as advising that it was necessary to place all the liquids acquired at Duty Free in the checked luggage if Houston was not your final destination.

The flight attendant had welcomed us to Houston advising that we could use our cell phones, but to ensure that they along with two-way pagers were off when we got to Immigration. Do people still carry two-pagers? I wondered. She also advised that Duty Free liquids must be re-packed in your checked luggage if you had onward air journey from Houston.

The Immigration line was not too bad and I was out of there in no time. I made my way down to Baggage Claim, where I was asked if my backpack was all the luggage I had. I answered in the affirmative and moved forward. I am glad that the agents do ask this as if you are unsuspecting and was not listening onboard your flights, you could leave your baggage on the carousel if Houston is not your final destination.

I had called on the plane so I knew that the next bus I could catch to downtown was leaving its first stop at 1:25p, so I had ample time.

I made my way over to Terminal C using the slow underground train. When I got there, I saw a bus at the stop, but I think it was the one that had just arrived from Downtown Houston. It left before I could go outside anyways, so I plugged in for a bit and checked e-mail before heading out to board the bus. As it turns out, it was the inbound as I saw many airport employees entering the air conditioned Baggage Claim/Passenger Arrivals area.

In a few minutes I made my way outside, the bus came, I boarded it and headed for downtown Houston.

No comments: