Monday, February 02, 2009

London/Berlin Jan 31 2009: Heathrow Airport is snowed in

2FEB09 Heathrow-International, London England (LHR)

It was 8:06a when the train pulled into Heathrow. The train driver announced that if you were going to Terminal 4 you would have to get off here as the train was going to Terminal 5 instead of Terminal 4.

Reluctantly I got off the train. I asked the attendant on the platform what was going on. He advised that there is a train still blocking the track between Terminals 1,2 & 3 and Terminal 4.

I was directed to go upstairs and find my own way to Terminal 4. Another agent upstairs told me to go to the Underground stop and then take the Piccadilly Line to Hounslow (first stop from Heathrow) and then take the train in the other direction for one stop. I thought to myself, that there must be another way to get there. I walked over to Terminal 3 arrivals area, got on a queue for a cab. This looked impossible as it was a long queue and the cabs were few and far between.

I then went to the Central Bus Station, but there was no way to get from there to Terminal 4 either. Reluctantly, I went back to the Underground. When I arrived there, I told the operator where I was heading and he let myself and others through without paying. When I got to the platform, I had just missed a train.

The next one was not for another 20 minutes at least. It finally arrived and I got off at the next stop with about 1/2 the train as well. The sign showed that the next train was for Terminal 5. I cautioned the waiting folks about taking this train.

Soon, the sign indicated that a train for Termina 4 and Terminal 1, 2 & 3 was on its way. It showed up and I got to Terminal 4 at 9:11a.

Once in Terminal 4, I made my way to check-in. My original flight was at 8:40a, but I knew that it was delayed. I checked in adn then cleared security.

There was no gate assigned, so I looked around for a bit. The airplane was there, but it was sitting out by the hard stand.

There was also many other airplanes, just sitting around as well. Some from the night before.

Kingfisher Airlines A330 at the gate.

A Virgin Atlantic Atlantic Airbus A340-600.

Northwest Airlines Airbus A330

Qantas' Boeing 747-400 at the gate.

I went to the Holideck Lounge and sat impatiently enjoying the ambience. I got accustomed to seeing “Please Wait” on the signs.


No worries as I was using the Holideck Lounge so I had complimentary Internet and I had eats at my disposal; I think I gained at least 5lbs!

I took some pictures during my time in and out of the Lounge. You can see them here.

At 1:30p, we got a gate. It was originally going to be gate 14, but the CO19 to Newark-Liberty (EWR) was still there so it got changed. Oh, by the way, the airport was freezing; I guess they lost power to the heater or something. I've used this terminal several and it has never been this cold.

While waiting at the gate, I did see a KLM Boeing 747-400 pull up! I have no idea why it was there. I know they have an A330 on the route (London to , but the B744 was a surprise.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me just mention: at least one flight was going from London City Airport. And it was perfectly on time.

Mad world.

Oliver

London Paris train fares said...

Eurostar train is also a best option to travel from London to berlin just like train from london to paris.