Saturday, January 12, 2008

Burlington, VT: C052 Houston-Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH) to Newark-Liberty, Newark NJ (EWR)

CO52 12JAN08 Houston-Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH) to Newark-Liberty, Newark NJ (EWR) 777 N??003 8:00a 12:12p

As I walked down the jetway an agent was telling us to hurry up and get on board; this was actually the same agent who boarded my flight to Mexico City last year; I remember him as he was quite meticulous about his duties.

At the door, I was greeted by the flight attendant who told me which way to go to get to my seat. I crossed through the galley as instructed and made my way through the BusinessFirst 2-2-2 configured cabin to the first Economy cabin in its 3-3-3 configuration.

I dumped my jacket in the overhead bin and asked the guy to let me into my window seat which he did happily.

I said hello and asked the usual is this your first flight of the day question as this flight actually originated with this aircraft in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He said yes and that he originated here in Houston and was heading back to school after a three week break. He attends college in New England studying engineering, so we chatted about that for a bit. He is actually from a family of engineers and was more than happy to continue the tradition his grandfather started.

We pushed back ontime and headed for runway 15L while the safety video played in English; there was no traffic so we had smooth sailing and was airborne in no time. The two GE90s on this airplane are fantastic when they spool up for takeoff. It is always awesome to take off in a Boeing 777 or watch it take off.

About 25 minutes into the flight, a female voice came on the PA and said “from the cockpit,” and gave us our welcome onboard as well as updated weather for Newark as well as saying that our arrival time should be about 11:45a, this is good as it gives me time in the airport lounge when I get there.

I’ve always noticed that whenever there is a female in the cockpit and she comes on the PA, she usually does not give her title, but finds some other way to indicate that she is in the cockpit. Have you noticed that when you fly? The guy next to me did not even realize that we had a female pilot until I pointed it out, he was like “so we have a female driving?” and I said “Yes we do.” I’m always excited when I have a female in the cockpit.

The movies on tap today were:

  1. Continental Presents House
  2. The game Plan
  3. Continental Family Channel 1:Secondhand Lions/The Jetsons, Foghorn Leghorn’s Fractured Funnies
  4. Balls of Fury/Still Landing
  5. Rush Hour 3/Behind he Scenes
  6. Continental Persents CSI
  7. Comedy Programming: The Class, The King of Queens, Everybody Hates Chris, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Simpsons, The New Adventures of Old Christine
  8. The Entertainment Channel
  9. Airshow

Headset was offered for 1.00 USD and then the movies were started. Although I did not put a headset in, I tuned to Channel 1 that was playing an episode of “House.” I have to be very selective of what I watch since I fly so often. I usually see most of my movies onboard an airplane.

Breakfast showed up at 8:42a and it consisted of Honey Nut Chex cereal, with a banana and 4oz of reduced fat milk (I was looking forward to a muffin or something, but oh well). There was a slip of paper promoting SkyMall products and advising you to ask your flight attendant for a special order form or go to www.skymall.com/coair05. You could also get your beverage of choice. I had some apple juice and a cup of hot water with which to drink my packet of Peppermint tea that I had brought with me.


As I had not had a chance to have breakfast this morning, I ate heartily, but slowly as I was having teeth pains due to an Orthodontist visit yesterday. Despite that I was still able to finish the breakfast.

At about 9:10a, a flight attendant came back and took the trash away. It is amazing how much trash is generated from an airplane flight.

I fell asleep for about an hour I guess and was awaken by the smooth descent in the Newark just when we were above Trenton, NJ. We touched down at about 11:42a and was at the gate at 11:45a.

No comments: