Monday, January 07, 2008

London Jan. 4: London-Gatwick (LGW) to Houston-Intercontinental (IAH)

CO5 7JAN08 12:00 4:30p Houston-Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH) to London-Gatwick International, London England (LGW) 777 N??012

Flying Time: 10:15

I boarded and showed the agent my boarding pass, who vectored me through the galley and down the other side since I had "J." I walked through the BusinessFirst cabin in its 2-2-2 configured cabin with seats that recline to 170 degrees.

I continued on to the second Economy cabin, noting that the first cabin was pretty full; so was the second cabin as well.

I said hello to the guy at the window who did not really say much back. i looked around and eventually found a place for my bag and jacket, just one seat forward.

I was hoping that this was one of the airplanes with the new Audio/Video systems and power in each seat, but it was not. There are only 4 that are done so far; 019, 020, 010 and 013. So I had to use the computer as soon as we took off as I doubt the batter will make it 10:15.

As soon as everyone was on board, we closed up and pushed five minutes early. The flight attendants took their positions and then the safety video started.

we got to the runway and waited; behind us was a British Airways B777 (G-VIIE), an XL Airways Boeing 737-800, a flybe ERJ175 and a Air Malta Airbus A319. A busy time although you would not know it from the people in the terminal.

It was our turn, so we took to the skies quickly. We made a "U" turn which allowed me to see the entire airport through the window. it took a few turns to get us on our Northwesterly heading towards the North Atlantic Ocean.

It took us a bit to get above 10,000' and then the lead agent told us about the service for today. Drinks first, then the main meal, then a mid-flight snack, then an arrival snack before landing.

The snacks came in the form of peanut with your beverage of choice. Alcoholic drinks are 5 USD. After the snacks, the flight attendants cleaned up the trash and then served the special meals and then fed everyone else. Today, we had a choice of chicken, beef or vegetarian. By the time they got to me, they only had chicken and beef left with about 1/2 of that second cabin to serve. Unfortunately, the meal was a bit lukewarm as well...

I think it was chicken cordon blue; it was served with beans and pasta, plus a brownie, a crackers and cheese and a roll in a plastic bag with butter. I had some ginger ale and water with it all.

The movies had already started and I chose "The Jane Austin Book Club" from my choice of:
  1. Continental Presents House
  2. The Jane Austen Book Club/Ojo Critico
  3. Continental Family Channel 2: Duma/The Powerpuff Girls, Tom and Jerry
  4. The Comebacks/Build it Bigger
  5. The Nanny Diaries/What I Like About You
  6. Continental Presents CSI
  7. Comedy Programming: The Class, The Kings of Queens, Everybody Hates Chris, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Simpsons, The New Adventure of Old Christine
  8. The Entertainment Channel
  9. Airshow
Headsets are complimentary and were already on the seats when I sat down. Once can also use their own headsets. The Jane Austin Book Club is an interesting film; it is about a group of people who read's her books and how it affects their lives.

I fell asleep and was awoken when we were over Northern Canada with 4:45 or so to go as the flight attendants were serving vanilla ice cream and beverages. I ate and went back to sleep for a bit.

I awoke later as the guy at the window was going to the lav. I awoke and read some and also was on the computer and watched "Mastermind," a program I had downloaded from the BBC on Demand. I wanted to use the computer some more, but I was out of juice. So, I fell asleep once more.

About 1:44 to go, we were served an arrival snack; potato chips, chocolate bar and a chicken and a chicken and cheese sandwich plus beverages.

After that, we were given arrival documentation and shown an arrival video. We were reminded that pens are not provided, so it is necessary to borrow from your neighbor. As one of my neighbors did not have a pen, I loaned him one.

We landed without incident and had a long taxi over to the Terminal E.

No comments: