Saturday, January 05, 2008

London Jan. 4: London-Gatwick International, London England (LGW)

London-Gatwick International, London England (LGW)

We taxied back to the terminal to our open gate. There were a few airplanes sitting around; an American Airlines Boeing 777 looks like it was waiting for a gate and there was a British Airways Boeing 777 that had just pushed back with the two engines running. There were also two Delta Air Lines Boeing 767-300s at the gate, plus a Continental Boeing 777 and two Boeing 757-200s with the winglets.

The usual fare of Virgin Atlantic’s Boeing 747-400s and Airbus A340-300s were also seen, plus an Astreus Boeing 737 and an airhongkong.com’s Boeing 747-400s.

We taxied up to our gate and then disembarked through the middle door; the same one through which I entered. I quickly made my way to the Immigration counter and again the IRIS system was down. Luckily there was no queue so I was the third person to be processed. I got the usual questions and then was motioned forward, with a firm “goodbye.”

Customs was a breeze as well as I noticed a bottle of Bailey’s Irish Cream for 11.99 GBP and two fro 22 GBP. Pricey, I thought as I made my way outside. There were not many meters and greeters there today, so I did not have to push my way through anyone.

As I was thinking of heading to Bristol to see a friend of mine, I wanted to check on the buses from National Express, but there was a line so I did not bother to do so. I figured I’d just do it in Victoria.

I took the escalators up to the next level where I took the transit which arrived in 1 minute to the South Terminal. I checked for a WiFi signal and found a few that were secured and a three that were paid services. I was hoping that I could get one from the Airport Clubs, but alas I was too far away.

At the South Terminal, I headed for the ticket office and got a ticket on the Southern train to London Victoria and got a London Underground all zone day pass for one pound extra. The total cost was 10.50 GBP; I asked the agent if the price went up and he said yes as it used to be 50p less only last month.

That agent and I have a history as he was quite rude to me once when I asked him a question about directions to a city in London. He appeared annoyed that I did not accept his first choice and asked if there were any other more efficient way and indeed there was. I had complained to another agent about him and she said that he is older, set in his ways and is a pain in the neck at times. On that same occasion, as I was a bit flustered, I left my computer at that same desk and luckily I got it back once I realized it was missing.

I had noticed that the departure time for the next train was 10:38, but it was delayed to 10:40. I tried to rush the transaction to see if I could make it. At 10:40, my transaction was complete and I rushed for platform 2, obstructed by a lady who was blocking the entire escalator.

I got to the platform, but the doors were already shut; seconds later, the train departed. I noticed that the arrival time was 11:20a. The next one at 10:55a would arrive at 11:27a as it made one less stop; foiled by the lady on the escalator I thought, but oh well.

The 10:55a arrived and I boarded the 12 car train.

No comments: