Sunday, April 20, 2008

London Apr. 18: Arriving in Houston Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH)

20APR08 Houston Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH)

Our touchdown was smooth on the runway that is the farthest from Terminal E. I am still amazed at the fact that these airplanes fly many hours over long distances, land like nothing happened and turn around and fly back...

Across the way at Terminal D, I could see an Air France (AF) Boeing 777-200 (777) pushing back and a British Airways (BA) Boeing 777 at the gate.



The Lufthansa German Airlines (LH) Boeing 747-400 (744) and KLM’s Boeing 747-400 Combi had already left for Europe it seems.

We taxied across the other parallel runway and then headed for Terminal E passing the almost bare Terminal D. I looked behind me and saw a Delta Connection CRJ-700 as well as a Northwest Airlink ERJ-175 taxiing in having just landed.

We ended up blocking in at 4:10p after which I deplaned and headed for the Immigration Hall. Oh, once the doors were opened there was a Concierge that advised of the baggage carousel being used.

At immigration, we were the first flight to arrive in this wave although we were thirty five minutes late. The Immigration Officer wanted to know why I went to London for a day and I advised that I wanted some R&R and he asked what was that. So I told him. Eventually, he stamped me through, then I cleared Customs.

I was heading to the local bus and saw a group of boys in shorts, t-shirts, slippers and socks, etc. I was reminded that there was some basketball thing in Houston this weekend so they were returning home. Actually, my nephew was in the same tournament and had returned home yesterday. I think they drove.

The coaches might have taken a little extra time to just have the boys put on some proper travel clothes. Come on coaches, the game of basketball is not just about playing the game. It is also about the development of these young men. You have influence on these young men, please use it to advise them on how to dress when taking public transportation.

As I travel often I see how sports teams dress when they travel, and the ones in Europe do not dress like the boys I saw at the airport today. Sadly, it was not only one team, but several teams were dressed like they all just woke up and came straight to the airport today.

O.K. I’m off my soapbox now.

No comments: