Saturday, June 07, 2008

Warsaw, Poland June 2008: Arriving in Amsterdam Schipol, Netherlands (AMS) from Houston, TX (IAH)

07JUN08 Amsterdam Schipol International, Amsterdam Netherlands (AMS)

We touched down on the runway closest to the cargo area at Schipol and commenced our taxi into the gate in the G terminal.

I was not really in a hurry since my flight would not depart until 2:55p. My gate was C18, so it meant that I had to pass through passport control and also security to get to the gate. On my way to the gate, I stopped by the KLM Transfer Desk and checked in for the flight.

The agent was really nice and said that the flight was looking good and I would not have to worry about it.

I made it through passport control in about twenty minutes as the line was really long. There was even a guy there checking the times. While on line, a few passengers came up and asked to get to the head of the line. the people who were doing the time studies just said they did not work for the airport when asked if they could get to the front of the line.

One guy was really running late, so I allowed him to get ahead of me. Moments later, three other passengers came running by. They too had a flight in 10 minutes. I don't think they will make it at all.

Once through, I headed for the KLM Crown Lounge. I produced my credentials but was denied access. I pretty ticked as I had quite the time until the flight. Dejected, I sat outside the Lounge and tried to concentrate on updating the blogs.

Later, I took a toilet break and then realized that it was 2:07p. wow, the time sure flew by fast. I finished up and headed for C18 which really was about 20 minutes away if you walked leisurely. I was there in five minutes.

Boarding had not commenced as yet, but there were lots of passengers milling around and asking questions. I went up to the agent and gave them my boarding pass. I then looked for a place to sit that had a power outlet nearby and found one.

It was fun to hear the agent try to pronounce the Polish names when he paged two passengers. I guess he did get it right as they did approach the counter for their boarding passes.

After a few minutes, my name was called and I was presented with a Business class (Europe select) boarding pass. I thanked the agent and then returned to my seat. Once there I looked at the boarding pass and realized that it had an Economy class seat on it and also a different name. I went back to the agent and he gave me the correct one, apologizing for the error.

I then put away my computer and stood on the double queues for the flight.

No comments: