Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Beijing 2008 - The Summer Olympiad: Arriving in Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall, Baltimore, MD (BWI)

12AUG08 Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall, Baltimore, MD (BWI)

We touched down at 12:32a and taxied into the gate in Terminal D. On the way there, I could see a number of Southwest Airlines airplanes. It's been a while since I'd flown in this airport and a alot has changed.

Five minutes later, we blocked into the gate. The agent advised us to wait until all the bags had come to the door and then she would let us off the plane.

I noted the registration as I walked on the tarmac and mounted a set of stairs that led to the jetway. It was actually quite cool outside; much like it was in New York.

I saw a lady sleeping on a bench across from gate D7 and hoped that would not be me in a few hours. As it was already almost 1:00a and my flight departed at 5:40a, I decided to just hangout in the airport.

I looked for a power outlet and found one close to gate D10 and set up there. Soon, everyone was gone except the lady across the gate and I. A few cleaning people showed up, then left. At about 1:30a, I saw a passenger, then more passengers, apparently another flight had just arrived, I think it was a United flight.

As there is no complimentary WiFi in BWI, I signed up for Boingo's 24 hour service for $7.95. T-Mobile had it for $9.95, but I opted not to do that.

I got some work done, checked in for the flight and chatted with my buddy who had now made it home from Los Angeles, (CA) to Atlanta, GA (ATL). While I slummed it in Economy class across the Pacific, he drank Dom Pernignon in Singapore Airlines' (SQ) First Class service, but I digress. I had to fill him on my adventure so far.

I called Southwest Airlines (WN) and checked on their flights to Houston. They had one at 6:00a that stopped in New Orleans, LA (MSY) arriving in Houston-Hobby (HOU) at about 11 something. I am assuming it stopped somewhere else before it got to New Orleans.

There was a nonstop at 7:20a arriving at 9:35a. This was my backup flight. If I did not make the 5:40a, I would not wait for the next flight at 7:15a, I'd just go for the Southwest flight since the agent said it was open.

It was kind of fun watching the airport get ready for passengers. There was some activity on the ramp as well and i got to see a few workers arrive.

At 4:13a, I saw three passengers show up for the 5:40a flight. Wow, what time did they get here I wondered? I contined to work as more passengers arrived.

At about 5:15a or so, the agent called my name and I got a seat. She even apologized for it being a bad seat and I told her, I was just happy that it was a seat.

No comments: