Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Google Android G1 Phone: San Antonio International, San Antonio TX (SAT) to Houston Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH)

CO278 22OCT08 San Antonio International, San Antonio TX (SAT) to Houston Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH) 5:45a 6:38a 738 N??225

Flight Time: 0:32
Seat Map

I greeted the flight attendants as I walked past the 19 passengers in the First Class cabin in a 2-2 configuration of leather seats. It appears that one person was running late as there was an empty seat. Or maybe there is one more upgrade to go.

I was sitting close to the front of the plane at a window seat, so I asked the guy at the aisle to allow me into my cloth seat in a 3-3 configuration, and he did. Morning flights are so weird as everyone is so sleepy and this flight was no exception.

We pushed back at 5:40a as the safety demonstration played then and headed out to runway 12R. We waited for a bit and then we took to the runway. It was actually a long bit. As we took of you could see about eight Southwest Airlines (WN) Boeing 737s at the gates; all with winglets. The same for Continental; there was even a Boeing 737-500, aircraft 653 with winglets.

As soon as we buzzed 10,000', I checked the map on the phone and noticed that it still said we were in SAT. The phone was in airplane mode so it was fine and GPS devices are allowed above 10,000'. Later, I got an error message that said 'i Attention There is a connection problem...we'll keep trying", bummer.

The Captain came on a few minutes after takeoff and advised we were at our cruising altitude. Beverages were offered, but I declined as I had already ate at the Presidents Club moments ago.

It was 6:12a when we commenced our descent by the indication of the seat belt signs being turned on.

The Captain and the flight attendant noted that our arrival gate was C24.

It was amazing to see outside as there was traffic backups on all the major highways I could see. Amazing how many people are up at this hour. This area really needs a major mass transit infusion. I wished I could have used the GPS at that time; but we were below 10,000' so that was a no-no.

It looked like we made a really wide circle as I thought I saw the San Jacinto Monument as well as lights from the refineries near the coast before we made it into the airport.

No comments: