Sunday, February 10, 2008

Montego Bay, Jamaica: Montego Bay to Houston, TX

CO863 10FEB08 Donald Sangster International, Montego Bay Jamaica (MBJ) to Houston-Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH) 2:18p 4:52p 738 N??280

Flight Time: 3:35

As we boarded this 16-seater First cabin and 141 seats in Economy class airplane, the flight attendant said hello. I said hello back and made my way to my First class window seat. My travel companion took his seat, helping me to put my stuff away.

I started looking around and was thrilled to find two power outlet between our leather seats. Awesome, I thought, now I can continue to charge my computer and get some work done.

Passengers continued to board as we were offered pre-departure drinks; I'm loving this service already.

There were a few last minute upgrades and a little activity at the boarding door. Apparently, the rear thrash can was not emptied so that had to be done before we left. I also heard the flight attendant say something about all the bottled water being taken off the plane, but I did not pay attention.

A flight attendant came by and offered complimentary headsets; in Economy, they are 1 USD, but you can always use your own at no cost. We were also asked what we would like for dinner after takeoff; our choices were a Ruben sandwich or shrimp over rice. We both chose the shrimp over rice.

The doors soon closed and we pushed back as the safety video was played in English. We taxied down to the runway passing an Air Transat A310, as well as a Ryan International Boeing 737 at the gate. There was also a US Airways plane being pushed back as well.

We took to the runway after a short pause and was airborne quickly. It was a beautiful sight as we looked out the window. One could see the coast with all the beautiful hotels, beach and golf courses in the clear afternoon.

We turned right and all that disappeared.

About 35 minutes after takeoff, we passed two islands and I wondered what they were; the Captain came on the PA and announced that Cayman Islands would be on the left in a few minutes. So I assumed that the two islands was Cayman Brac and Little Cayman; a passenger confirmed that this was the case.

"The Nanny Diaries" is the movie for the flight and it started shortly. I've seen parts of it on several flights and just can't bring myself to watch it, so I just read until the meal arrived.

First, we were offered a wet towel, then our drinks of choice arrived with a packet of mixed nuts. The drinks order of choice were taken at the same time as the meal order earlier.

Our lunch order arrived on a tray; it consisted of butter, a salad, salad dressing, shrimp on a bed of rice and vegetables on sauce.


We both ate heartily as the movie continued and we headed north towards Houston. The flight attendant was great about refilling our drinks as well. After the meal, we were offered dessert of a chocolate cheese cake with pecan, plus coffee and/or an after dinner drink.

It was funny as the coffee came when the seatbelt sign was still on :-).

After the service, I was really tired so I fell asleep. I awoke as we started our descnt into Houston. I did see a Customs form on my table so my travel companion must have left it there for me. I filled it out carefully and then relaxed for the landing.

It was nice and bright outside and you could see the lakes around Houston as we descended. It was hard to see where we were coming in, but eventually, we figured out that it was over the Lee Road area. As we descended close to the end of the runway, once could see all the plane spotters just shy of the end of the runway. It was good to see as for a while, this area was closed.

No comments: