Friday, April 18, 2008

Lee - Atlanta, GA (ATL) - check in at E concourse for Shanghai (PVG)

18APR08 Atlanta Hartsfield International, Atlanta GA (ATL)

Checking in for the flight
We pull up to A concourse in ATL and I quickly transferred to E concourse where Delta Air Lines (DL) has a full service check in desk. I did not have any checked bags and did not want to leave the sterile area to have to re-clear security in ATL on a Friday morning.

I go to check in and hit a road block – the check in agent has to pull miles for the upgrade to J class and re-issue the ticket but notices I have a T class fare instead of the Y class I was re-booked into to allow the upgrade.

She reads the notes on the PNR (reservations) and goes and checks with a supervisor. After about 15 minutes of stress and thinking that I would be sent back to Economy (Y), she gets the O.K. to finish what the JFK supervisor has started. She pulls the mileage and prints my J class boarding pass and off to the Business Elite lounge I go.

I am granted access to the lounge, grab a glass of Champagne to celebrate my weekend get-away. There are great views of the Boeing 777-232ER going to Tokyo-Narita, Japan (NRT) and you can also see our 777-232ER a couple of gates away.

I finish some work stuff and send some emails and pull up the seat map to Shanghai, People's Republic of China (PVG). To my astonishment and happiness, I find a window seat in the forward cabin, and the aisle seat is also free. I immediately go to the gate to check in there and show my visa to the agents and to get a seat change. A lead agent processes my request and I ask if possible to keep the aisle seat free next to me. She said, no promises, but would try to see what can be done.

No comments: