Monday, May 12, 2008

Montego Bay May 2008: Killeen, TX (GRK) to Houston, TX (IAH)

CO9579 12MAY08 Killeen Ft. Hood Regional, Killeen Texas (GRK) to Houston Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH) 5:15a 5:22a SF3 N198CJ operated by Colgan Air dba Continental Connection Flying Time: 0:37
Seat Map

It was a long walk down the jetway to the waiting Saab 340. It was nice to be able to walk right onto the plane as I was a bit chilly out. I greeted the lone flight attendant as I did so.

This aircraft has 34 leather seats in a 1-2 configuration with a lavatory just behind the cockpit on the right. It has really tin overhead bins, so usually you have to gate check your bags as I was requested to do and I complied.

I got settled and in a bit the flight came by and was telling a passenger in the Exit row that he would have to stow his backpack somewhere other than at his feet. The guy was really tall and was kind of folded up at the seat. She moved his bag to an open seat behind him.

The Captain came on the PA and welcomed us onboard, stated the 0:37 flying time and added that as a fuel conservation measure, the engine run ups would be done with us on board. He says that in the past they would have done that prior to us arriving. He then explained what would happen and that it was all normal so no need to worry if the airplane sounds and feels funny.

I looked off to my right and saw the American Eagle Bombardier CRJ-700 (N523AE) at the gate with the gate pulled away. The Continental Express Embraer ERJ-135 on which I flew in last night was on the other side at another gate.

It was 5:02a, when the flight attendant closed the door. A minute later, the right engine started as did the manual safety demo. The pilot was going through the checks he had mentioned earlier. At 5:06a, the left engine started as he had to wait for the jetway to be pulled back clear of the aircraft left wing.

At 5:13a, after watching the propeller do its routine and the lights going on and off once or twice, we pulled forward and headed out to the runway. The Captain came on the PA as we neared the end of the runway and said we were #1 for departure, “duh,” I tough smiling to myself. In three minutes time, we were airborne and headed for Houston, TX in the cold and dark morning skies.

The lady next to me had a short conversation with the flight attendant as she came by with juices.

I actually though that she want to have something hot as I saw the flight attendant shake her head in the negative. I took the last cup of Apple juice as the flight attendant left.

The lady turned to me and said, “how come they don’t have any blankets?” I told her I did not know, but agreed to myself that there should be blankets and pillows especially on this flight. The aircraft was not cold, but your body temperature does fall when you sleep and of course everyone is different. She then shifted around so she could be more comfortable.

I finished my juice and went off to sleep leaving the empty cup on my computer. When I awoke later, I saw that the cup was no longer there as the flight attendant had picked it up while I slept.

A few minutes later, the Captain came on the PA and announced that we had 15 minutes left of flying and we had started our descent. He also added that the local temperature was 60F and clear. I guess a cold front had moved in over the weekend. I slumped off to sleep once more. I agree, I could do with a blanket and a pillow.

No comments: