Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year Trip 2007/2008: Houston-Intercontinental, Hosuton TX (IAH)

Houston-Intercontinental, Houston, TX (IAH)

I arrived at the airport at 4:29p, cleared security and then looked for my gate. The first two screens with the “As” were blank so as I had received my TripAlert and it said gate 43, I went in that direction. I found another set of Flight Information Displays at the crossroads and looked for “Anchorage.” I only saw the non-stop flight that was leaving at 5:25p from gate E8. I wondered where was flight 667? Then I thought, “I bet it is under ‘Seattle?’” Sure enough it was as the flight made a stop in Seattle, WA on its way to Anchorage, AK. But what about those passengers were going to Anchorage? I think they may be a bit confused.

I headed for the Presidents Club, showed my documents and entered. The two ladies at the desk, greeted me with a Happy New Year, to which I responded in the same fashion. I needed to make a quick lavatory stop so I did. Next, I went to the bar and had a complimentary glass of white wine after I had picked up some cheese and crackers. They also had some fruits (apples and bananas) and some corn chips.

I logged on and did an online order that had to be done before midnight and also read some work and personal e-mails. I was checking flight and it did not look very good for getting a seat as it was checked in full.

I went over to the gate as the agents made a final boarding call message for the flight. As I was heading out, I grabbed a banana and took it with me.

At the gate, there were a few people waiting around, but the majority had boarded. The red coated agent gave two boarding passes to this one girl and then he was called away to another gate. The agent made two final boarding calls before returning two tickets to a couple who had apparently volunteered to be on a later flight. I assume they were only going to Seattle as there were no more flights to Anchorage for the day.

Then she called one passenger’s name and told three others that only one seat is left. They said they would just wait for their originally scheduled flight then since they don’t want to split up. So my name was called and the other guy and I were told to follow the agent down.

At the airplane, we waited a bit; the guy was asking me what I did and if Seattle was home for me. I answered him that I was a travel writer and that I lived n Houston. He said, kind of interesting huh, since I may not get on the flight, I chuckled. The agent then came back and said to take the only two open seats on the plane; one aisle for the other guy and the middle for me.

No comments: