Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year Trip 2007/2008 :Seattle-Tacoma International, WA (SEA) to Anchorage International, Anchorage, AK (ANC)

CO667 31DEC07 Seattle-Tacoma International, WA (SEA) to Anchorage International, Anchorage, AK (ANC) 9:17p 11:54p 753 N??858

The boarding process was smooth; as I boarded I noticed someone sitting in 8C and 8A was empty. The flight attendant reminded him that he has to store his bag above his head and he acknowledged. One of the reasons I hate sitting in that row unless I absolutely have to do so.

I made my way back to my seat without any issues. The back of the plane is sparse, but still not totally empty.

The captain came on the PA and said temp is -6C, O.K. that is cold! To minimize the amount of stuff I am carrying, I carried only a light sweat shirt since I did not plan on going outside tonight. Flying time is 2:51 he continued.

Two guys had switched to another seat and then the folks for that seat showed up so they had to move over to their old seats. If you are going to move, don’t do it until the door is closed or you’ve asked a flight attendant. I did notice a guy eyeing the two empty seats next to me, I think he is deterred now :-).

The take off was smooth at 9:36p into the dark night. It was a beautiful sight to see all the lights below. We headed north following I-5 as we did so. Once could see downtown Seattle, the football stadium with the majority of the lights turned off and also the Space Needle before turning left and out across the Puget Sound.

The movie today is “Hairspray;” headsets were offered at a price of $1. I had seen parts of “Hairspray” already and don’t really like it so I won’t be watching it tonight although I do like musicals. After the headsets were handed out, the movie started.

At 34,000’ the first office came on and gave her welcome aboard. 11:25p is the expected arrival time she said and the wind is at 6 miles/ 21F is the temp. We will be updated with an arrival time when we are closer to Anchorage. I always wonder about the reason for giving the wind direction and speed? Does it really matter to the passengers on board? Just a random though; if you know leave a comment please.

One of the flight attendants handed out two packets of peanuts each; I guess no sandwich on this late night fight. Beverages followed soon after as the movie played on the overhead screen. Luckily, I have some cheese and crackers from the airport Lounge to tide me over.

Round about now, 12:21a in Houston, my low battery light came on; I had 22 minutes left, strange as a few minutes ago, it said 1:11 :-(.

About 10 minutes from the end of the movies, the flight attendant made an announcement asking for a Doctor in the house as someone had fallen ill; a call button rang so there was one. Just a few rows from me another person took ill as I hear them scream. Someone else rushed to their aid and one of the flight attendant produced what I think was a defibrillator.

Wow, now two persons are sick. There was quite a commotion in the walkway as all this continued. Luckily everyone was fine. As we landed, it was a beautiful view of the city of Anchorage. The city just sat at the end of the mountain chain in all its lights. You could see fireworks going off all over the city in little spurts. I could also make out the runway.

We had a smooth but loud landing as we slowed down on the runway. There was snow everywhere and it just looked cold as it 21F as the First Officer had said.

The flight attendant welcomed us and advised that we should remain seated and allow the sick passengers to be taken off by the paramedics. I looked out the window and there were two paramedic trucks and a fire truck. Not sure why we needed the fire truck, but oh well.

As soon as that was all done, we deplaned about 11:30p after arriving way early at 11:15p.

No comments: