Friday, February 08, 2008

Montego Bay, Jamaica: Preparations

Preparations

This weekend’s journey will take me to Montego Bay, Jamaica after which I will take a three hour drive to a small town called Carisbrook, Jamaica where I grew up to see my 98 year old grand aunt and my 60 something year old aunt. The roads are not fun at all, so if I were in the U.S., the drive would be just about an hour. I also have to keep reminding myself to drive on the right hand side of the street.

Getting to Jamaica at a decent time is not easy from Houston, but I devised a routing that would get me there by 6:25a. But I had to go West first and then East.

After looking at a few different car options, Budget proved to be the best one. I also needed to check a few of the local companies, but never got around to it. In terms of a hotel, we would have to wait to book one once we knew for sure we were going as the cancellation policy is for 24 hours before.

The funky thing is that when you call hotels.com, they say that you can cancel anytime, but they blame the hotels for having 24 hour cancellation policies; I think this is very lame. I looked at several choices and they ranges from 80 USD for a Guest house to 479 USD for a Resort with all you can eat. The Caribbean is so expensive; what a rip I thought.

No comments: