Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas Trip 2007: Honolulu, HI (HNL)

Honolulu, HI (HNL)

I headed for the immigration/Customs area; I had secured a ride to Waikiki so I was psyched about that as I knew that it would be perhaps taxi only at this hour. There is a local bus for a dollar, but I doubt if it was running at 3a.

I took quite a while in Immigration as there were only three agents working the U.S. citizenship line; good grief. One of them was working the crew line.

Finally, it was my time and I said hello to the agent who greeted me. He looked at the document and was like six countries huh? I said Yes. What were you doing? I said, just flying. He asked when did I leave, I told him on Christmas eve. Quite a trip he said and stamped my Customs form saying welcome home. Oh he did ask if I was heading to Houston and I told him eventually.

So, I go to the Customs lady and she asks me a bunch of questions makes some notes and send me to secondary screening; just what I need when I am in a hurry. There was only one guy doing this area so I had to wait as there as another passenger behind me. I was very irritated as I knew that my ride had already left by now.

After what seemed like forever, it was my turn. It took so long just to enter the information into his computer. Then my bag was checked, nothing was found of course and then I was sent on my way; aargh!!! Of all the times to go through secondary screening, I did not need that tonight.

I got outside and my ride had left. I checked the cost of a taxi and it was possibly 35 USD; it was a metered ride to Waikiki. I called the four airport hotels and their rates ranges from 99 USD to 129 USD. I even checked the airport shuttles for 9.00 USD, but although they said they would come immediately, I actually woke up one guy and another just rang without an answer. I guess they should post their hours of operation.

I usually take the local bus into town for 1 USD, but it did not start until 7a. the security lady told me.

So with a heavy heart, i chose the cheapest hotel. They sent a bus for me and it arrived within 5 minutes as it was already at the airport. When I got there, there was a police car pulling someone over and looks like they were being arrested.

I signed up for the room asking for a high floor; the guy said nothing and then gave me a floor on the ground floor, which I totally hate. I asked him if he had anything n a higher floor and he said no and I just felt he was lying. He then gave me a key as well as a remote for the TV. You can tell the class of a hotel when you are given the key with the remote. I also asked about Internet access and he gave me a sheet of paper with a userid and password. Oh, the guy said in a gruff voice, despite the fact that you are checking in at 3:30a, checkout was still at noon. Like I really cared since I had to leave at time anyways.

I went down to the room and it was not up to standard at all. I just felt unsafe I guess for some reason. Also there were no plugs to plug my electronic items into; there was one and it was behind the bed. So I only plugged the computer in it. It was also an almost dead spot as it pertains to cell phone coverage.

I so hated this place. Anyways, I eventually fell asleep after setting the alarm clock for 9:30a. I perished the thought of asking for a wake up call.

I was up and atom at 9:30a and did some blogging then got ready and left for the airport.

No comments: