Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas Trip 2007: Majuro (MAJ)

Amata Kabua International Airport, Majuro (MAJ)

Arrival Time: 7:01 PM

The left side of the airplane had to deplane, so I did. It was great to visit another airport, although for a very short time. Once inside the transit lounge, I could see that they were selling arts and craft as well as another stall with alcoholic drinks and beverages. Interesting enough, they had Corona and New Zealand beers. The cost for a beer was 3 USD.

I tried to find an electric outlet and when I did, it was not working. After waiting around a bit, I saw one that high above the ground; it looks like they had installed new ones as the ones from the ground were no longer working. It was too much work to get to it, so I did not bother. I looked to my phone, but there was no signal either.

I noticed a funny sign in the transit area; one of the “Do Nots” on it read: “DO NOT write on walls and doors.” I thought that was interesting and wondered why that had to be added. Another was “DO NOT spit betel nuts and copenhagen on floors and walls,” again, someone must have been spitting nuts out; my guess is also that these are popular items on the island.

People milled around buying arts and craft as well as beer and beverages. It was actually a tranquil atmosphere as we waited for the flight to be ready once more. Boarding was announced without a PA system and the boarding process was the same as it was throughout.

Once back outside on the tarmac, I took a few night shots of the plane the operations around it. This was the last stop on the island hopper and I felt a bit nostalgic. It was also very windy and really humid.

PS: On my first trip through the Marshall Islands a few years ago, I met Imata Kabua who was then President of the Marshall Islands. He is cousin to Amata.

No comments: