Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ponce, PR (PSE): Aeropuerto Mercedita, Ponce PR (PSE)

Aeropuerto Mercedita, Ponce PR (PSE)

As I suspected, there are no jetways here, so we taxied to the hard stand. As we cleared the runway, a JetBlue A320 took to the skies; that is an odd departure time I thought. I looked across to the hard stand and there was another JetBlue A320 (Absolute Blue) there as well.

I deplaned down the stairs with everyone else; it was a zoo at baggage claim as the JetBlue flight had just arrived as well. I made my way through the chaos to the outside where there was more chaos as there were tons of people greeting their families.

You could smell the warm Caribbean air partially laced with weed, alas it is party time it seems as there was music billowing from a red Honda Civic parked not far away. I am amazed at the number of people in the airport at this hour. If I did not know it was 5:00a, I would not have believed it was.

I made my way to the departure lounge which was really adjacent to the arrival lounge, all on the same level. It was just as crowded, as there were passengers checking in for the JetBlue and the Continental flights which were leaving shortly at 6:00a. There is also a counter for Cape Air and one for spirit airlines, plus a tourism counter for what looks like a charter company.

A lady just asked me if I have change for a 5, but I don't. I think she wants to use the soda machine. I remember a little girl was saying "una pesos," but the machine takes 1 USD; interesting.

Oh, I tried for Internet access and there is none, so you will get this when I return to Newark or whichever airport I arrive next that has WiFi. I await a seat for my return flight.

I waited for all teh customers to be checked in and then asked the agent about the standby list, he says they clear it at th gate and then printed me my boarding passes. The flight is weight restricted he said, due to the short length of the runway and the number of bags that customers have. I told him I had a backup on Cape Air to San Juan (SJU), that I want to use and don't want to use, he and his colleagues smiled.

The security line was long as both the Continental and the JetBlue flights leave at the same time. I got on line at 5:25a and was through at 5:47a. Considering that the departure area is really small, this is pretty bad. One of the issue way the line seems longer is that about 2/3rds of it are families accompanying their relatives. Also, there is no priority lines at this airport, everyone gets on the same line.

It gets quite emotional when they can't go any further. I felt like I was at a funeral as people were hugging, sniffling and crying and passionately touching each other. I felt out of place, as if I should be hugging someone too, it was odd. I guess as I travel so much, I am de-sanitized about the saying goodbye experience. Do people really think they won't see their loved ones again?

I approached the counter and the agent knew who I was and gave me a middle seat towards the back. I did not even ask for a change as I knew the flight was full and I was kind of happy to get a seat, although I really wanted to try the Cape Air service to San Juan (SJU), but perhaps another time and another market. I now have three months in which to use this ticket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I arrived at the Mercedita Airport on January 11, 2008 at 4:45 am. I had a tough flight because I was sitting in the middle of two pretty heavy sized persons and I am kind of thick also so when I got off the airplane my neck was really stiff but I was happy to visit my hometown.

When I got to the baggage claim area it was like a zoo, a lot of people, all talking at the same time, some of them singing of happiness, this lady next to me started singing "Alegre vengo de los Newyores" we have a typical song called "Alegre vengo de la montaƱa = Im coming happily from the mountain" so she was smart enough to change the words to the song and say she was coming happily from NewYork".. that made me laugh.

Next, I am standing next to this guy who's suitcase seemed to never come throught the belt and he kept saying that he knew no one would steal it because his was unique.. Come to find out his suitcase was shaped as a little race car and had racing stickers all over it...he must have traveled hundreds of times with this suitcase...that made me laugh.

Then I walk outside and was able to smell the warm air and I was very emotional to just know I was just minutes from seeing my dad who had been sick for the past few days.

I spent 23 days in Puerto Rico and came back to New York on February 4, 2008. But guess what? Since I love to travel as soon as I came back home I went online and purchased another ticket to go back on March 6th. Today is March 11, 2008 and I have returned to New York again. I just spent another 4 days in Puerto Rico and I want to go back. I am planning my next trip for April 15th in which I'm planning to stay through June and come back to New York the first week of July.