Sunday, February 03, 2008

London Feb. 1: QR84 Newark to Geneva, Switzerland (GVA)


QR84 02FEB08 Newark Liberty International, Newark NJ (EWR) to Geneva, Switzerland (GVA) 9:15p 10:40a 332 A7-ACC

Flying Time: 6:40

As I boarded this red intriored Airbus A330-200, I saw the flight attendant take a boarding pass and took a passenger to the left; I assumed he was in First Class. I looked left and it was indeed First Class in a 1-2-1 configuration of about three rows. To my right was Business class in a 2-2-2 configuration of about four rows I think. Economy class followed in a single cabin with a 2-4-2 configuration.

I got settled in as there was some seat shifting around me. An announcement was also made that cell phones should be turned off as they are not allowed to be on once you are on board. The airplane slowly filled up although the load was not too bad. The Economy class cabin is one long cabin which is interesting.

Before takeoff, we were presented with a moist packaged towelette and a candy.

So one thing about this airline is that the flight attendant are very beautiful; the guy in front of me actually took pictures of one of them who was from South Africa, I kidded with her that I wanted a picture too, but I was kidding.

Just after takeoff (9:35p), we were presented with a gray amenity kit in a plastic bag with the Qatar logo on it. The bag contained a pair of socks, toothbrush and toothpaste, eye shade, ear plugs and ear bud headsets.

This airplane is fitted with Audio/Video on Demand, I thought that the controllers could not handle it as they are fixed into the handle of th seat, but it does.


These were my options:

  • films
    • movies
      • international
        • action, comedy, drama, family, classics, all movies a-z
      • arabic
      • hindi
      • asian
    • tv
      • international
        • comedy, classic comedy, documentary, children’s sport, entertainment
      • arabic
      • hindi
      • asian
    • specials
      • BBC
      • Al Jazeera News
      • Welcome to onboard video
  • Live television
  • Music
  • Games
  • Young oryx flyers
    • movies
    • tv
    • games
  • News
    • Live text news
    • Airline update
  • Flight tracking
  • Arrival info
    • Arrival info
    • Connecting gate
    • Terminal map
  • Qatar news
    • Qatar
    • Qatar airways
    • International route network
    • Qatar airways fleet
    • Privilege club
    • Doha international airport
  • Communication
  • shopping
  • help

We were constantly reminded of where Mecca was during the route map programming.

After the amenity kits, we were presented with little stickers that had “Duty Free,” a smiley face and “Please do not disturb,” and a fork and knife and the words “Please wake me for meals.” It also showed you where to place sticker on your seat (right shoulder of seat). I heard a lady behind me say and smiled how cute it was and that she had never seen it before. I have actually seen it on other flights primarily Asian airlines. I of course chose the “Please wake me for meals" one.

Next, we were given hotel towels (paper) which was really a very nice touch indeed. The flight attendant came back quickly thereafter to pick up the used towels.

Now it was time for the specials meals to be distributed, which was done very efficiently.

At 10:17p, the flight attendant arrived with the meal: chicken with vegetables and fish with rice and also pasta were the meal choices tonight. I chose fish which had a roll, a pasta salad, chocolate, cream cheese, butter dessert and water.

At 10:48p, the flight attendants came through with tea and coffee as well cleared the trays. One cleared the trays while the other cleared the trays.

After dinner, duty free came through. I wanted to get some models of the QR A380 which was quite cheap, but another guy had bought the only two models they had on the plane. I also wanted to buy some playing cards, but they were out as well. Dejected, I returned to my seat.

In a few minutes, I went to sleep without using my footrest as it would take up my much needed space for my legs.

I awoke to omelet or scrambled egg with beef for breakfast; I chose the latter; at this time, we had about two hours to go. It consisted of scrambled eggs with beef, potatoes and tomato, plus a roll, yogurt, orange juice and a fruit cup. Tea with lemon and a croissant followed swiftly.

I ate heartily, after which the tray was cleared. I fell asleep for a little bit more and then we started our descent into Geneva. It was a beautiful day and you could see for miles. We made a few turns around the lake as we came in for a beautiful landing.

No comments: