Sunday, May 18, 2008

Luxembourg: Arriving in Houston, TX (IAH) from Amsterdam (AMS)

18MAY08 Houston Intercontinental, Houston TX (IAH)

We touched down smoothly on runway 26 I think; the one closest to Terminal D. We were the first international non-Continental heavy to arrive from Europe. Actually, I think we arrived just before that first Continental flight from Amsterdam, CO59. There was a small amount of clapping, but it did not last long.

We taxied over to the gate and pulled in. One lady got up before we got stopped and a lot of others followed. It is so funny how people follow others even when they are wrong. The funny thing is that we were all at the back of the plane, so what is the point. Of course when the plane finally stopped a few of them pitched forward...Luckily no one fell.

I deplaned, thanking the crew and asking for a form so that I can commend the flight attendant who served our section. He was exceptional and had good attention to detail. I was sure to tell him that he did a good job and that I would send in a note about him.

In doing all that, I forgot my sweater that was behind my bag in the overhead, so I had to go back and get it. By the time I got to the door of the plane, they had already found it and placed it in the jetway so I just picked it up.

As I walked to Immigration, I saw Lufthansa's Boeing 747-400 pull up and then Air France's Boeing 777-200 from Paris, France (CDG). About six hundred more people are now in the ground. As I walked to the Immigration hall, I could see passengers checking in for the return KLM flight to Amsterdam. The whole saga just starts all over again, doesn't it?

I made my way to the Immigration counter where there was not much of a line on the U.S. side, but there was on the Visitors side and it was going to get longer now. I cleared Immigration, saying hello to one of my colleagues who had just returned from Colombia.

Getting through Baggage Claim was not an issue and I then made my way to the bus stop.

Flying is so amazing...

No comments: