Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Google Android G1 Phone: Leaving Downtown TX.

I have a friend in San Antonio, TX who is a techno geek. He was the one that told me when the Android was going to be available. I had told him that when I get it I will come see him so we can play with it. Well, here goes.

I left my house at about 5:35p and headed for the bus stop. It was 5:45p when the bus showed up and 6:05p when we arrived downtown. I had no idea whether or not a bus was in the vicinity, but I just hoped. I saw one coming in the distance and as it drew nearer, it was the 102.

Houston is an odd city, people who live in the suburbs actually line up for the bus one behind each other neatly. I have not see that in any other city I've visited, perhaps except for Japan where commuters queue for the trains. It is interesting to see. The folks for the 102 did not queue, there was maybe 5 or 6 of us.

While on the bus, I continued to figure out the new G1 Android phone. I had expected to see all my phone numbers in the Contact section, but that was not the case. So I called T-Mobile and asked them what was up with it. It was painful. The lady who answered the phone transferred me to the PDA Blackberry desk; odd I thought since they just launched the G1.

The guy then asked me for my phone number, which I though was ridiculous; annoyed I asked him if the lady had not told him what was up; he said no. I told him my issue and he advised me that it is necessary to download my contacts to the phone. You would think when I touched Contacts for the first time, there would have been an intuitive message giving me some direction?

We had a bad connection and eventually, I lost him as I was on the bus. I then figured it out myself and just downloaded the contacts, which I think doubled up for some weird reason.

No comments: