Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas Trip 2007: Guam (GUM) to Chuuk (TKK)

Guam (GUM)

I left the Lounge at about 7:48a and headed for the gate, just two clicks away. They were already in the boarding process, but no seat was assigned as yet.

Soon, my name was called and I was assigned an Economy Class window seat. I asked if I would be upgraded on the other islands if there was a seat and I was told no. This would be my seat for the entire flight. Odd, I thought, but I guess it is too confusing to do otherwise.

I boarded, commending the agent on her boarding style; it sounded so great when she rattled off the names of the airports and ended with Honolulu, Hawaii. She made the announcement a few times as I was standing there.

8 CS956 28DEC Guam (GUM) to Chuuk (TKK) 8:20a 10:37a N14249

As I boarded, the flight attendants checked my boarding pass and welcomed me on board. I greeted them and advised that I would be staying with them for the duration of the flight. I walked through the 2-2 Business Class cabin which was almost full and made my way to Economy Class in its 3-3 configuration.

I noticed that there was someone sitting in my seat, so I alerted the flight attendant of the situation who was standing nearby. He asked the guy for his boarding pass and he was actually seated at an aisle seat further back in the plane. I put my stuff away in the overhead bin and took my window seat.

I said hello to the couple next to me who as it turns out was on my flight from Cairns. They were heading to Pohnpei (PNI) for eight days. I had a good chat with them about their arrival in Guam experience and they commented that they were fingerprinted and that was not a fun experience.

A gentleman passed down the aisle in a uniform other than flight crew or flight attendant and I told the folks next to me that he is our mechanic; they seemed startled, but I assured them it was fine. This flight takes a mechanic in case one is needed as there are none on the islands; that is such a cool job, I thought. There is also an extra pilot and an extra flight attendant I think.

By now all the passengers had boarded and it was push back time. The crew were now in the aisle as the safety video had started; an English version. It was a short taxi to the runway and we were airborne in no time. It was great to see Guam in the morning sunshine as I had arrived when it was dark. We made a hard left turn so I was able to see the airport and its surroundings in its entirety as we turned left and headed out; it was quite a beautiful sight.

The lead flight attendant welcomed everyone on board and explained the service for today stating that we would have a hot sandwich. The couple and I were talking about this trying to decide if we would get a meal or not. They had taken Virgin Blue from Melbourne to Cairns and mentioned that they charge for meals on that flight and I was saying that meals are done at meal time and depending on the length and type of flight.

I was actually delighted as I did not expect anything, but kind of thought there would be since this is a Continental Micronesia-operated flight and the flight is international.

Documentation for the Micronesian Islands was passed out to those who needed them; the flight attendant saying that I would get my documentation in 10 hours; I laughed. At this point, this seemed like eternity.

The meal service was soon started and consisted of an egg, ham and cheese English muffin with a fruit bowl and an apple juice. The normal fare of beverages was also served. Clean up was completed quickly after that.

It was 9:30a when we started our descent into Chuuk; wow that was quick I thought. Not much time for Duty Free, I thought as well.

For Chuuk, we were told that we had to deplane but only those on the right side of the plane; if anyone else wanted to they could but would have to take all their stuff with them; so of course I did, you never have to ask me twice to get off a plane and touch my foot on a foreign soil.

The landing was pretty much a plant, but knowing that the runway is short, it worked. We landed on runway 15 and then turned around on it and taxied back towards the gate.

There were lots of people looking at the plane coming in as this is quite the event for them.

Once I deplaned and entered the terminal, I checked for a wireless signal, but alas there was none. My phone did not work either. This is going to be a long day. I love small airports! I checked again and one wireless signal showed up, but it was protected and required a network key. I did not see any power plugs so I could recharge; besides I did not bring the electric cord.

Boarding started at :21 with priority customers first, etc. this was done by a gentleman just speaking to us not on a PA system, this was the greatest thing , so casual and so orderly.

No comments: