Friday, February 01, 2008

Tel Aviv Israel: Arriving in Newark Liberty International

01FEB08 Newark Liberty International, Newark NJ (EWR)

We finally landed at about 6:25a and taxied to Terminal B. We were the only airplane there which was a good thing as it meant that we would clear Immigration quickly. Not that it mattered as we needed to collect our bags anyways unless were heading to another international destination, say Mexico.

I sat and relaxed as I was way in the back of the plane and I knew I had to wait on my luggage. When it was my turn I headed out, taking a look at the Business Class area as I did so.

The line to the Immigration was not too bad, but it was shorter than that to the visitors’ line. I had a short wait, said hello to the agent and got my stamp and went downstairs for my bag. I was really nonchalant as I knew I’d have to wait for some time anyways.

I went downstairs and the bags were still not out; it was now 6:45a. I now knew that there was no way I could make my 7:30a flight from Terminal C to Houston. I was having second thoughts as to whether I could have taken my bag on the plane in Tel Aviv although I had liquids above the 100ml mark and I think I could as I did not have to take out my liquids in Tel Aviv. This was all a moot point now anyways.

There were several people on their cell phones that had ignored the signs that said “No Cell Phones.” This prompted the agent to make an announcement. The announcement made no difference, so the guy started shouting at people and that seemed to curtail the practice. I guess they were bored waiting.

At 7:10a, my bag appeared and I approached the Customs agent. I showed him my documents, he said hello and told me to go ahead. I then followed the signs to the AirTrain and took it to Terminal C. The next flight to Houston was at 8:50a, it was now 7:20a.

At the check-in area, I swiped my card and was told that check-in was restricted to the gate so I have to seen agent for my flight. I did, but she was a bit unclear when I told her to put me on standby for the 8:50a. She tried for a bit and then left to talk to another agent. I then saw her talk to the Red Coat and then she returned to me. She then buried her head into her computer and picked up the phone to ask for help. After a few moments, she gave me a boarding pass, then I told her I do have a bag, so she added that to the transaction and tagged it to my final destination, Houston, TX (IAH). I also saw that she added a “Standby” tag to it.

I went upstairs and cleared security easily and made my way to the Presidents Club. Once there I showed my documents and then made my way to the Business Center area, which was not too crowded. All the couches were taken, so just as well.

I had a breakfast of a toasted bagel regular cream cheese, a banana as well as two poppy seed muffins and some water. I then went back to my seat and logged in using the complimentary wireless access and got caught up a bit. It was soon time to head to gate so I did.

Once there, I asked the agent if she had cleared the standbys and she indicated “no.” I waited and at about 8:45a, my name was called for an aisle seat; good deal, I thought. I told her I had a bag and she said it would be loaded, not to worry. I then showed my boarding card and boarded the flight.

No comments: